- Air pollution (introduction): What is air pollution and what causes it?
- Biofuels: Can we grow our own fuels for transportation? What are the drawbacks of doing so?
- Carbon capture and storage (CCS): Can we really make our old power plants more eco-friendly?
- Carbon offsets: Is it good to "buy" your way out of harming the planet?
- Composting toilets: How can you dispose of sewage without causing water pollution?
- Earthquakes: What causes earthquakes and why are big ones so much bigger than little ones?
- Eco-labelling: If a product claims it's eco-friendly, how can you be sure it's telling the truth?
- Electrostatic smoke precipitators: How can we scrub soot from smokestacks (chimneys)?
- Energy monitors: Which of your appliances cost most money to run?
- Environmentalism: What is environmentalism and what does it involve?
- Fair trade: Why should we care where our products come from?
- Fracking: A great way to increase our supplies of oil and gas or a major new cause of pollution?
- Geoengineering: Can we "engineer" Earth to repair the damage we're doing to its climate?
- Global warming and climate change: Is climate change really happening? What will it mean for the future?
- Greywater: How can you save water at home by storing water you've used already?
- Hydroponics: Can you really grow plants without soil? Why would you want to?
- Land pollution: How are we polluting the Earth beneath our feet?
- Organic food and farming: Are there really benefits of growing food without pesticides and chemicals?
- Passive solar energy: Is sunlight alone enough to keep your house warm?
- Plasma arc recycling: Could we get rid of trash by melting and vaporizing it?
- Public attitudes: If people really care about the planet, why don't they do more to protect it?
- Renewable energy: How can we make energy in a way that doesn't use up Earth's scarce resources?
- Rivers: Where do rivers come from and why do they change as they flow to the ocean?
- Recycling: How can we reduce our impact on the planet by trashing less and reusing more?
- Solar cookers: Can you really cook your dinner with sunlight?
- Water pollution: What causes water pollution and how can we stop it?
You'll find more articles on renewable energy in our list of energy articles.
Like this site? Get the book!
Why do skyscrapers wobble in the wind? Why can't you cool your home with a giant block of ice? Could you microwave your dinner with a cellphone? What's the hidden connection between a bicycle and a suspension bridge? If questions like this are constantly buzzing round your brain, you'll love my new book, Atoms Under the Floorboards: The Surprising Science Hidden in Your Home, published worldwide by Bloomsbury. Please click here to find out more.