- Biomass boilers: How can we burn solid fuels in a more environmentally friendly way?
- Car engines: How do they convert liquid fuel into a trip to the mall?
- CHP cogeneration: What can we do to make power plants more efficient?
- Energy: What is energy, where does it come from, and will the world ever run out of it?
- Energy monitors: Which of your appliances cost most money to run?
- Energy saving: How can you save energy at home, at work, and when you travel?
- Engines: How does an engine convert fuel into mechanical power?
- Gas central heating boilers: How does heat pump around your home in central heating systems?
- Heat energy: What is heat and how does it move from place to place?
- Heat exchangers: How can you swap heat from one part of a machine to another?
- Heat pumps: Can you really warm your home by pumping heat out from the ground beneath it?
- Heat-recovery ventilation (HRV): How can you get fresh air into your home without letting valuable heat escape?
- Hybrid solar lighting (HSL): Wouldn't it be neat if you could pipe sunlight deep inside a building?
- Law of conservation of energy: Why can't we create or destroy energy? Why will perpetual motion machines never work?
- LPG (liquified petroleum gas): Why do portable gas supplies come in sturdy steel containers?
- Nuclear fusion: Can we generate clean, endless supplies of energy by smashing small atoms together?
- Nuclear power plants: How does a nuclear plant turn atoms into electricity?
- Ocean thermal energy conservation (OTEC): Can the ocean's heat power our energy needs?
- Power plants: How does a conventional power station make electricity from fuels such as coal and gas?
- Renewable energy: How can we make energy in a way that doesn't use up Earth's scarce resources?
- Solar cells: How do solar panels produce electricity from sunlight?
- Solar hot-water systems: Can you really save money by using the sun to heat your bath-water?
- Steam turbines: How do power plants harness the power of steam?
- Stirling engines: Why are Stirling engines among the most efficient engines of all?
- Wind turbines: Why are wind turbines so tall? Why do we need so many of them? Are small-scale micro-wind turbines worth the time and effort of construction?
Like this site? Get the book!
Why do skyscrapers wobble in the wind? Why can't you cool your home with a giant block of ice? Could you microwave your dinner with a cellphone? What's the hidden connection between a bicycle and a suspension bridge? If questions like this are constantly buzzing round your brain, you'll love my new book, Atoms Under the Floorboards: The Surprising Science Hidden in Your Home, published worldwide by Bloomsbury. Please click here to find out more.